Materials in Other Languages
The Grand Rapids Public Library offers a wide range of international language materials. Whether you're looking for reading materials in Vietnamese, hoping to brush up on your Spanish, or interested in French cinema, this page provides a few different ways to search our catalog by language and material. Also listed are some useful online resources pertaining to international languages.
Our International Language Collection
- You may also want to check out our dual-language books, for text both in English and another language.
- Also be sure to check out our World Fiction page.
Learning the Language
Magazines and Journals at the Library
- The library owns literally thousands of magazines and newspapers in print, microfiche, microfilm, and electronic formats. These magazines are located in the Reading Room, our Youth Services Department, the Grand Rapids History and Special Collections Department, and our Retrieval Desk at the Main library, as well as at each of our branches.
- Search our catalog for specific titles.
- Search our databases for full-text articles and citations from thousands more magazines and newspapers. Check MeL (the Michigan eLibrary) to find out if a magazine's full-text articles are included in a database.
Browse films by language with GRPLpedia Movies.
West Michigan Hispanic Center Offers translation and interpretation services for Spanish, Vietnamese, Bosnian, French, Somali and other international languages.
Grand Rapids Chinese Language School The Chinese Association of West Michigan provides Saturday classes for those interested in learning Chinese language and culture.
International Language Resources in Michigan A list of resources compiled by the Canton Public Library.
Translators in Michigan A list of translators compiled by the State of Michigan.